Campus/Business Unit:Vega School - Bordeaux Campus
Direct Reporting Line:Vice Principal
The incumbent is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of a blended digital learning commons in an academic setting. This includes information and research support to academic staff and students at a tertiary level for both resident and part-time students.
Monday to Thursday 12:00 to 21:00
Saturday 08:00 to 13:00
Postgraduate Diploma in Library Science or Bachelor's degree in Library Science.
Honours degree in Library Science will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills and presentation skills particularly in English, both verbal and written, including the ability to communicate to a range of audiences clearly, concise, specific and accurate and accessible to the target audience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills characterised by tact and diplomacy and an ongoing ability to participate effectively in a team that is spread across the country.
- High delivery ability demonstrated capacity to organise own work and work against tight deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent general knowledge, knowledge of online database usage and academic writing.
- Computer literacy.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in managing an academic library, academic compliance and functions/ activities within a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage services preferably in an academic library.
Key Performance Area:
Planning, Administrating and Organising Operations of library services and supporting delivery
- Create conducive library spaces and monitor students' conduct
- Create good working relations with campus management, colleagues and students
- Active and meaningful participation in meetings and webinars
- Ensure and monitor that the campus library services are equitable and comparable to all other brand campuses
- Problem solve and feedback promptly until the issue has been resolved
- Action directives received from the National Librarian and Vice Principal promptly within the set deadlines
Market Library and Information Services
- Assist the Campus Librarian plan, design and roll out marketing and awareness of Library & Information Services
Teaching and Learning Support, Information and all Academic Literacies
- Plan and monitor rollout of higher-level information and research support, including academic writing skills to students and staff e.g plan and deliver interactive sessions on databases usage, referencing, plagiarism avoidance, Turnitin and SafeAssign etc.
- Undertake effective Reference Interview to better understand users' needs for accurate information support
- Monitor adherence to all library related policies and report progress or anomalies to the Campus Librarian, Vice Principal and National Librarian
Collection Maintenance, Management and Development
- Carry out stocktaking and report back to the Campus Librarian, Vice Principal and National Librarian
Internal and External Communication
- Prompt, professional and clear written and oral communication
- Prompt compilation and distribution of monthly statistical reports with analyses and comments on trends
- Campus Environment.
- Preferably equity candidate.
Must be able to work on evenings and Saturdays.