Campus/Business Unit:Vega School - Durban Campus
Direct Reporting Line:Vice Principal - Teaching & Learning
The successful incumbent is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of a blended digital learning commons in an academic setting. This includes information and research support to academic staff and students on a tertiary level for both full-time and part-time students.
Bachelor of Library / Information Sciences is essential.
- Excellent communication skills and presentation skills particularly in English, both verbal and written, including the ability to communicate to a range of audiences in a way that is clear, concise, specific and accurate and accessible to the target audience.
- Interpersonal skills, characterised by tact and diplomacy and an ongoing ability to participate effectively in a team that is spread across the country.
- High delivery ability, demonstrated capacity to organise own work and work against tight deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent general knowledge and knowledge of online database usage.
- Computer literacy.
2 - 3 years experience as a Librarian.
Key Performance Area:
- Manage the day to day activities of campus library in an academic environment.
- Develop and maintain a hybrid information collection (both print and electronic).
- Manage inter- library loans and requests service.
- Manage issues and returns of library material on the library system.
- Supervise the assistant staff and student assistants.
- Provide reference and information services to students and academic staff in an academic environment.
- Assist with managing all auxiliary services such as copying, reproduction and digitization.
- Manage and control facility and computer usage.
- Manage and control good conduct of library users in learning spaces.
- Edit, classify and index information sources.
- Manage good library conduct and solve any potential conflicts.
- Ensure copyright and DALRO compliance.
- Assist the campus staff with requesting desk copies, issue to relevant requester, and arrange for deliveries to the requester, follow-up on returns.
- Shelve books in library, weed unused books, arrange for pulping of outdated material with logos.
- Conduct stock taking, and manage overdue notices.
- Conduct information literacy training.
- Arrange book exhibitions and library marketing.
- Assist the National Librarian and Campus Management with all reporting required e.g. monthly library reports, database usage reports, stock control reports compilation and others that may become necessary.
- Campus Environment.
- Preferably equity candidate.